On faces and disposition 3.) Instrumental awakening.

I was a kid then, that everyday I had to go to the market to buy either my favourite 5 star chocolate or mangobite toffee. Like any other day, I went to market that day too. As I entered the general store, I greeted an old man, who was also the owner of the shop. I picked up items I were to buy and I had to pay fifteen rupees which I calculated in my mind, so I gave him a twenty rupees note. In return he gave me a ten rupees note. For a moment, I thought, if he had given me a discount, for being his regular customer. So, I happily left his shop, on the thought of being a special customer to him. But, althroughout my walk back home, I kept on thinking as to why did I not ask the man, on why he was charging five rupees lesser from me.

After much a thought, and after coming halfway the distance away, I turned back to his shop. I greeted the old man once again, and this time I returned him the ten rupees note that he gave me. He asked, what I was up to, and I told him that he had by mistake given me that note instead of five rupees. So, he took the note and returned me a five rupees coin. Then I turned back for my home. This time, there was nothing going in my head, but happiness in real sense. When, I had nothing to question myself about. There was no stress this time, and peace occupied my being. I cherished my act, and wondered what would have happened, had I not returned the five rupees which didn't belong to me. Maybe, I could have told myself that it was a discount, but I would be always assuming this thought. And, given the owner of the shop accepted his fault, it meant that he had actually made a mistake in making the calculation.

I kept on wondering on my way-back and even today that maybe, it was the old man's idea to see what I would do, given I was a regular customer to his shop. In this small act, I thought; I had passed the greatest test, to be not only honest to others, but in being that; I was honest to myself and it meant peace and joy to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a dream that was, and that ended.

Definitions of love~

Love is togetherness.